Monday, April 13, 2009

Introducing the world of Yore!

Common fantasy is comprised of a variety of themes from myth, folklore, legends, and fairy tales. The stuff of dreams and imagination is something with which to trifle, but that does not mean that it has any less depth or resonance. It stimulates us mentally and moves us emotionally. Fantasy touches something in us that returns us to childhood and connects us with the boundless reaches of human wondering. Clichés, tropes, and memes become widespread because they are effective. They are a shorthand language for concepts that can sometimes be complex. They help communicate the ideas and feelings that we fantasists intend.

In fashioning the world of Yore, I have embraced many of the clichés, tropes, and memes that make fantasy. I am a busy man. I dedicate myself to being a husband, father, and teacher. I spend most of my time pursuing those ends. As a game master, I do not have time for a lot of preparation. I can barely invest enough time into playing on a semi-weekly basis. For my friends, it is much the same.

The symbols of fantasy have become a sort of common language. It allows individuals with different experiences and viewpoints to begin communicating quickly. Whatever differences exist because of “dialect” can be viewed as personal quirks. They can even add to the richness and nuance of the conversation. Using the most prevalent components of the fantasy genre allows us to jump right in and play. Players have already invested the minimal time needed by enjoying games like "The Legend of Zelda" and "Final Fantasy," reading the works of Tolkien and Eddings, and watching movies like "Dragonslayer" and "Princess Mononoke."

You will notice that I have painted the landscape of Yore with broad strokes. If there is more detail in one part it reflects my idiosyncracies, and those with whom I game. Shoddy or sloppy work does the same. Take it for what it’s worth and remember the spirit with which I designed it. Enjoy.

No comments: